Join us - Saturday, January 12, 2019
InterContinental San Francisco Hotel
888 Howard Street, San Francisco, CA 94103
Registration is now open!
We have arranged a limited number of reduced-rate rooms at the
InterContinental San Francisco. They are available on a first come basis.
Details for booking a room are included in your event registration confirmation email.
Beyond the Bar: New Frontiers for Chocolate
Registration Opens 8:30am
FCIA Membership Assembly (members only) 9am - 9:50am
Breakout Groups: Morning Workshops 10am - 12:50pm
- Track 1: Value Chain Partnerships & Sourcing Quality Ingredients
10:00-10:50am - Cacao Capacity Building in West Africa, Latin America & the Caribean (Kameron Burt, Irina Gonzalez, Robert Shubert, Marc Steen, Jorge Brenes)
11:00-11:50am - A Sustainable Treat: The Future of Biodiversity-freindly Chocolate (Ruth Bennett, Justine Bowe)
12:00-12:50pm - The New Generation of Cocoa Farmers: A Nicaragua Case Study (Jorge Brenes)
- Track 2: Product Development, Innovations & Communications
10:00-10:50am - Health Benefits of Chocolate: Facts, Caveats & Questions (Joshua Lambert)
11:00-11:50am - Five Ways to Communicate Your Responsible Sourcing Message (Louise Kramer, Priscilla Martel)
12:00-12:50pm - Use and Care of Chocolate Machinary (Dr. Balu M. Balasubramanian, Alvaro Bejarano, Javier Sanchez)
- Track 3: Tastes & Quality Standard
10:00-10:50am - New Sensory Standards for Finished Chocolate: Attribute Scoring & Evaluation Methods (Brian Cisneros, John Kehoe)
11:00 - 11:50am - Fresh Chocolate with a Connection to the Palate (Megan Hile, Maya Schoop-Rutten)
12:00-12:50pm - Creating Inclusive & Practical Systems for the Sensory Analysis of Cocoa (Stasi Baranoff, Laura Sweitzer, Mey Choy Paz, Hernan Garcia Meza)
Partnership Showcase 10am - 6pm
No So Silent Auction 11am - 6pm
Informal Lunch 1pm - 2pm
Breakout Groups - Meet the Makers and Huddles 2pm - 2:50pm
- Meet the Baker: This session is a fireside chat with a few prominent pastry chefs from San Francisco, moderated by Todd Masonis, Dandelion Chocolate. It is geared toward chocolate makers to better understand how chefs use their products or those interested in using chocolate as an ingredient.
- Chocolatier's Hardcore Business Session: Richard Tango-Lowy, Master Chocolatier and owner of Dancing Lion, will lead this discussion on the three critical keys to success as a small chocolatier. Based on performance excellence methods that have been used by some of the world's most effective businesses for decades, these tools will help you start, grow, and sustainably thrive as a small business in the fine chocolate industry.
- Regulatory Update for Chocolatiers: Marlene Stauffer, Blommer Chocolate, will provide an update on various regulatory topics impacting the fine chocolate industry including: chocolate standards of identity; FSMA; nutritional labeling; organics; nonGMs; and gluten free.
Plenary Discussion 3pm - 5pm
* President's Remarks Clark Guittard
* Industry Outlook / Regulatory Update John Downs /NCA
* Heirloom Cacao Preservation Update Dan Pearson / Ed Seguine
* Keynote Address Chi Bui / K & M Extravirgin Chocolate
Gallery Showcase /Chocolate Sampling Table 5pm - 7:30pm
FCIA Event Sponsors
We are extremely grateful for the generous support from all of our Event Sponsors.
Gold Event Sponsors
Silver Event Sponsors
Bronze Event Sponsors
FCIA Gallery Showcase Exhibitors
Our (vendor) Gallery Showcase is a great way to check out new products and get advice relevant to you business. Visit companies like:
Biocacao de Ecuador.
Dallas Chocolate Festival
Diamond Custom Machines
EZtemper by the Chocolate Doctor
Guittard Chocolate Company
Heirloom Cacao Preservation
Northwest Chocolate Festival
Each offers a wide variety of chocolate/ingredients, tools/equipment, and deep knowledge.
FCIA Media Sponsors
FCIA Refund Policy
All cancellation requests must be received at least 1 week before the event date, sent via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org Unfortunately, no refunds will be made for requests received after that time.
Refunds are subject to a $20 cancellation fee. Refunds will be issued in the same form payment was made. Please allow two weeks for processing.