Mission, Vision, and Values
Our VisionElevating the art and business of fine flavor cacao and chocolate.
Our MissionAs the professional non-profit organization representing the fine chocolate industry, our mission is to promote quality, innovations, ethical sourcing, and best practices in the fine chocolate industry from tree to bar and bonbon. FCIA achieves this by:
- Communicating with consumers, the media and legislators regarding issues in growing, production and consumption of chocolate.
- Educating chocolate professionals on fine chocolate best practices, ingredients and techniques.
- Helping to define industry standards for fine flavor cacao growing, bar and confection production and the use of quality ingredients.
- Building partnerships to strengthen the value chain and preserve fine cacao varieties.
- Celebrating our valuable and growing segment of the chocolate industry and supporting its dedicated members.
Our ValuesAs leaders in the Fine Chocolate industry, FCIA upholds our members to a core set of values.
- Strive for ethical, transparent and environmentally friendly sourcing in the cacao value chain
- Define “transparency” and “traceability” and how we can use these terms to measure and report on collective impact on social and environmental practices at each stage along the cacao value chain.
- Support actions or mechanisms that identify and remediate any cases of child or forced labor on farms where “Fine Cacao” is purchased.
- Encourage the industry to reward farmers with above market prices for quality cacao that meets company flavor profiles.
- Support protocols that protect fragile, tropical lands where cacao and other crops are grown and prevent cacao from being grown in protected reserves.
- Embrace innovations
- Support innovative solutions which challenge and transform the status quo on how cacao is grown and traded and how chocolate is made and marketed.
- Foster collaboration and educational efforts among company members and partners
- Provide an industry-wide platform to educate members and partners on a variety of topics related to the procurement of quality ingredients as well as the marketing and promoting of Fine Chocolate.
- Encourage peer-to-peer collaboration among our members, where applicable.
- Share our message and value within and outside the industry
- Promote Fine Chocolate within and outside our industry, including with partners and consumers via websites, traditional and social media, trade shows and festivals, and other events.
- Cherish and value diverse opinions, while upholding our rules of conduct
- Encourage a culture and environment which listens to and respects different opinions within our industry.
- Uphold our rules of conduct, providing a framework for how we treat each other publicly and privately, regardless of position in company or the association.